====================

Date and Time: 16:00 - 17:30, July 18
Place: Building B4, Room WK301, Nakamozu Campus, Osaka Prefecture Univ.
http://www.osakafu-u.ac.jp/english/info/campusguide/access/

Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Andreas Dengel, DFKI, Germany

Title:
Successful Research Transfer is a Challenging Task – A DFKI Perspective

Abstract:
DFKI was founded almost 30 years ago as a non-for-profit organization
with support from the German Ministry of Research and Development
(BMFT). The motivation for founding a National Research Center for
Artificial Intelligence was to concentrate the efforts in AI research in
order to improve Germany’s international competitiveness in the field
but also to establish the DFKI as a transfer institute for
market-relevant AI technology. Today the DFKI has facilities in
Kaiserslautern, Saarbrücken, Bremen, Berlin, and Osnabrueck. It is known
as Europe’s leading research center in the area of innovative AI
software and works for well-known enterprises from all over the world.
Beside public funded and contracted projects, DFKI's mission is to
foster the foundation of start-ups by staff members. This way, DFKI has
already initiated more than 75 spin-off companies for which it has
received the German Spin-off Award. In my talk, I will explain the
important pieces that carry the success of DFKI and give insights into
our strategy for implementing „real“ research transfer.

--
Koichi Kise, Ph.D., Professor
Dept. of Computer Science and Intelligent Systems,